TALONS Ted Talk: Colour Deficiency

For my TED talk, I decided to cover the concept of colour deficiency and how it affects someones life. I chose to cover this topic because my brother has colour deficiency and I wanted to educate myself and others about this often overlooked, and misread topic. During the video there will be a spot where you can test out colour deficiency tests for yourself, feel free to pause the video for its on the screen for a short period of time. I hope you enjoy!

Link

Citations

Color Vision Deficiency. (n.d.). Retrieved from https://www.aoa.org/patients-and-public/eye-and-vision-problems/glossary-of-eye-and-vision-conditions/color-deficiency

Color vision deficiency – Genetics Home Reference. (n.d.). Retrieved from https://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/condition/color-vision-deficiency

Ishihara’s Test for Colour Deficiency: 38 Plates Edition. (n.d.). Retrieved from http://www.color-blindness.com/ishiharas-test-for-colour-deficiency-38-plates-edition/

Color Deficiency. (n.d.). Retrieved from https://www.stereooptical.com/color-deficiency/

Myers, D. G. (2008). Psychology: First canadian edition. Place of publication not identified: Worth Pub.

Inherited Colour Vision Deficiency. (n.d.). Retrieved from http://www.colourblindawareness.org/colour-blindness/inherited-colour-vision-deficiency/

6 thoughts on “TALONS Ted Talk: Colour Deficiency

1. emarakhov

Hey Elaine!

Wow, this really changed my understanding of colour and vision in general. Now I’m interested if colour deficiency could be ‘fixed’. Knowing that there is a type of shrimp that has 16 sensitive cones, compared to a human’s 3, I started wondering: Is there a way the people could add or replace sensitive cones in the future to cure colour deficiency or see more colours?

Great video and format of presentation!
    Edward

2. val

Hi Elaine!

Your opening hook was really effective as a thought provoking rhetorical question. This whiteboard format is very creative and made your presentation enjoyable and engaging for me to follow along. You explained a complex concept very well in a way that allowed me to understand. The testing was fun and interactive.

A suggestion I have would be to possibly slow down a bit, so the video doesn’t feel frantic.

-Val

3. sfong

Hey Girlie!
    Wow, this was so cool! I loved the way you showed your findings in a very creative way, you were very clear one explaining the difference between colour blindness, and colour deficiency. One thing i might suggest though, is slowing down sometimes it was hard to process what you were saying as fast as you were saying it. Also this may just be my computer but my volume was one max and i couldn’t hear some of the things you were saying. Sandwiching it together, your hook was amazing and it really got me engaged.
    Great work!
    -Sarah Fong

4. kliang

Hey Elaine
    That was certainly one of my favorite TED talk because I love your choice of presenting by writing on a white board. It is definitely very creative and your information is clearly summarized by your style of presentation. On the other hand, this is a very interesting topic to me as I have couple of relatives who obtain color deficiency. I’ve never learnt anything much about it until I watched your TED talk video, which gave me a lot of information in a sufficient amount of time. The little thing I would suggest is probably to slow down a little when it’s necessary but it was still pretty easy to follow along. Overall excellent presentation and your information is very concise and useful. NICE JOB!
    -Kimi

5. ntan

Cool video Elaine!
    It’s really interesting how you shed light on the difference between colour blindness and colour deficiency in such a fun and interactive format. I had a lot of fun with your interactive colour deficiency testing, but you specified that it only works on red-green colour deficiency. This makes me wonder how people get tested for blue colour deficiency. You also stated blue colour deficiency is more severe and I am wondering why that is true. Overall, it was a wonderful and succinct way to present such an interesting topic to your audience. You went gave very good background information yet still went in-depth into your inquiry. Great job!

6. Jcyr

Hi Elaine,
    Great video! I found this very informative and it helped me understand the difference between colour deficiency and colour blindness. I found it super interesting that we can see three main colours, and that colours can mix together to make even more colours! I was just wondering if you can use the Ishihara plates to recognize red green deficiency, then how can u recognize blue colour deficiency ?